Friday, January 25, 2013

What am I Known For?

Hello Everybody!

Over at Simon Says Stamp and Show the challenge is "What are you known for?"  This is a really great question, right?  So there are 2 sides of this-my side, like what I think I am (or should be known for LOL) and then there is the perception of everybody else.  So I conducted a study :)  I asked my friends on Facebook what they thought I was known for.  I got some great answers back like: always smiling, honest, fun to be with, hilarious, my laugh (which I tried to change one time but was unsuccessful), and positive.  Yeah!  I was super impressed.  No one tried to be funny or smart alecky either!

So using my friends words I made this mixed media "canvas."


So the inspiration for doing this embroidery hoop canvas came from YouTube.  I was searching for a different technique and ran across this video.  She uses canvas, and I didn't have canvas but I had muslin.  So that is, what I used for the base and I covered it in gesso.  Side note-put a plastic bag or something under your material.  Thankfully I was using my craft mat but if I wasn't-yikes!

I am also linking up to the Lessology Challenge-You are My Sweetheart-using Hearts and my upcycled item is my embroidery hoop.

Here is a picture of the main materials I used to create the background.


Close to My Heart makes a base paint that is pearl.  They make it so that you can add their re-inkers to it and create matching paint colors to their stamp pads.  So I used a yellow with it and painted the embroidery hoop.  The color on the hoop is this shimmery yellow goldish color.  I had a little extra so I put in on the gesso.


Then I used some Faber-Castell Gelatos-green.  I added water to it and used it like paint.  Then I took regular white acrylic paint and added Lawn Distress Re-Inker (like a drop or 2 it's very concentrated) and a couple of drops of yellow CTMH re-inker.  It came out fabulous!  I used bubble wrap and made spots and used foam letters (old and never been used before!) to spell out some of the words.  I used a rub-on for "sweet" from Prima.

I used a page from the dictionary for positive.  With my green and yellow paint I added the gel medium.  This allowed the paint to become translucent.  How cool is that!  So you can read the words because of the gel medium-awesome!!

This is fabric that I ironed Pellon to (a fabric stiffener) and then colored with worn lipstick Distress Stain.  I painted the chipboard pieces pink and then painted Rock Candy Crackle over them.


Here's a close up of the top.  These are chipboard hearts that I covered with musical scrapbook paper and distressed with barn red.  The scissors are on there because my friend Mynnette said I must have them-and she is right!  I used pop dots on the big heart so the scissors would hang properly.

The center of the happy flowers are those little letter beads that kids would make bracelets with.  I got those at a garage sale-score! ;)


This is a recent picture of me-I got a hair cut-Yay! :) I love this light bulb (TH).  I dyed it with yellow alcohol ink and added yellow stickles.  I added the crown because my friend Melissa said I was the Queen of Scrapbooking-LOL :)  I don't know if I am-I don't have my own paper line yet but I am definitely a Princess!  LOL ;)  That's a Tim Holtz crown that I used alcohol inks-white picket fence and red to make pink.  That beautiful flower is a Prima flower.


I hope you like my mixed media canvas and learning a little bit more about me!  :)  Until next time my friends...have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Great creation and it was wonderful getting to know you a bit better.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Annette Allen said...

wow wee this is cool..what a great idea...so creative and fun...love it

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

This is sweet and very creative, thanks for sharing your work with us at LESSology!

Mynn xx said...

Katy, I LOVE this!!! The colors are totally you and I love all the elements! But where are the scissors!? ;) Just joking--this turned out beautifully!!!

Carly said...

Wow this is such a new project I love it!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic project! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week! - Ashli :)

yyam said...

Well, Queen of scrapbooking, this project is super fabulous. I love how you used so may different mediums. What an amazing project!

Thanks for joining us at LESSology! :)

Shahrul Niza said...

Oh how I ADORE any art projects using embroidery loops :). You've made a beautiful collage here :).