Sunday, June 7, 2020

Stars Tag

Hello Everybody!

Yesterday I was lucky to watch the Tim Holtz Saturday Demo--Live! Yay! :)  I have watched most of them in replay-and I learn so much.  I have been using distress ink for a loooooonnnnggggg time and I am in awe of Tim's creativity to launch new products with different effects.  So cool.

So yesterday was about distress crayons-which I have and just use one way.  LOL-I needed the help.  So check out my tag:


Here's how I made it:

I gessoed the tag.  Added modeling paste through a Tim Holtz star stencil. Then I watercolored each star using fossilized amber crayon first and then tarnished brass crayon.  The tarnished brass adds a little shimmer 😍


Then I sprayed it with distress oxide spray-wild honey, stormy sky, and dusty concord.


Ok check this out-- See the area around the stars-I drew little arrows to help.  That is the crayon resisting the spray.  I know!  I can't even wrap my mind around it.  The stars resisted too but not as much as I thought-hmmm maybe because I didn't put gesso on them?  No matter-I LOVE the way this background turned out.


The magic of distress crayons is collage medium-which I do not have.  So I stamped this stampabilites stamp on cardstock with jet black archvial ink. Then I covered it with clear gesso.  Then I drew a line with the different crayons and put water on my finger to move the color around. Then I added tarnished brass crayon for that sparkle.


My moon is a paper clay moon that I made using a Finnabair mold. I painted it with wild honey distress oxide stain but it was too bright.  So with rusty hinge and walnut stain I toned it down and grunged it out a bit.  Then added tarnished brass crayon with water to give it that shimmer.  Shimmer for the win!


And here is my tag all put together.  I used dusty concord oxide stain for the ribbon.  (It's old when Tim sold dyable ribbon.  Told you I have been collecting I mean crafting for awhile!) LOL


Here's a close up.  I used foam adhesive for the sentiment.  And added wings to a Tim Holtz paperdoll.  


Thank you for stopping by!  I am entering this into the following challenges:




4 comments:

Mary Simet marsim5@verizon.net said...

Dear Artist, The sparking stars are stunning! I am digging your moon. What are & are they expensive supplies needed to create your delightful crescent moon? Appreciatively, Mary Simet The email of mine listed is incorrect. It should be marsim5@verizon.net

Mary Simet marsim5@verizon.net said...

Please add me to your emailing list, marsim5@verizon.net

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is gorgeous! LOVING the colors and that moon!

Karen Brown said...

Wow....gorgeous! Love the multi-media look. We are so pleased that you joined us this week at Watercooler Wednesday. Karen - DT