Saturday, June 13, 2020

Let It Shine Altered Paintbrush


Hello Everybody!

I have been making clay pieces with molds-and today I made a project with them!  This is going to be a present for my husband for Father's Day so shhh.  :) So let me show you what I made:

                                                  

I started with this paintbrush from the dollar tree.



Then I gessoed the paintbrush and added gears for where I wanted them to go.


Then I went through and painted everything with black gesso.


I made a lightbulb using a Tim Holtz stamp, wild honey oxide, and rusty hinge crayon.  I used vintage gold, rusty brown, rusty red waxes on the gears.  And I painted the handle with the copper paint from the Patina effect paste-and then i painted a little of the rusty brown on it.  


I added black micro beads too.  I used a Tim Holtz paperdoll and a quote chip (which seriously are one of my new favorite things).  


I added Finnabair rust effects to the sides of the paintbrush.  


I used brown and red rusty waxes on the actual bristles of the brush.  The original bristles were bright compared with the rest of the projct.  I cut the chipboard quote and colored them with rusty red wax and vintage gold wax.

Here is a close up of the light bulb.


Here is the paintbrush altogether.  My idea was that the gear "machine" makes the lightbulb work thus lighting the way.  My husband lights the way for our family :)


I am submitting this to the following challenges:





{Pin}spirational --#264 photo inpiration: My husband is definitely a hero in my eyes.  He takes care of us and makes sure we have everything we need.  He works hard at his job and at home.  He is an awesome dad too! He definitely makes this world a better place. :)


Thank you for stopping by today! 


8 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Love love love love this!! LOVING those gears!!!

Donna Scholz said...

What an incredible project, Katy!!! I'm sure your husband will treasure it forever! Love all the details, and especially your step-by-step instructions for how you created it. Thank you for sharing your wonderful project with us at Double Trouble!!! -Donna

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Oh my gosh! This is so creative and lovely gift for your husband and thanks for showing by photos the many processes or techniques you used for your final project... very handsome and vintage. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble.

Melanie R said...

Wow! What a fabulous gift, Katy! You have really shown your creativity with this project - so clever. Thank you for playing along with us at Double Trouble Challenge #58.

Andree said...

A brilliantly altered brush. Great rusty looking cogs and gears.
Thank you for joining in with our June challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

Deb said...

Fabulous transformation Katy, love all of the lovely textures and the way you aged the Quote Chips (they are some of my favourites too!). Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey for our Rustic Charms challenge, Deb xo

Astrid Maclean said...

What a brillinat project Katy, so clever! Love the truly rustic feel of it, the colours and textures look amazing, a truly fabulous piece of altered art! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at A Vintage Journey!

Deanne Saunders said...

Awesome!!! Thank-you so much for participating in our {PIN}SPIRATIONAL challenge. Hope to see your beautiful creations in our next challenge!! Have a happy crafty day!!! So sorry this is so late but things have been crazy lately!!
Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper