Thursday, October 1, 2015

Prayer Books

Hello Everybody,

A while back I realized that I when I prayed for people I would forget a few folks here and there.  So if I thought about someone's mom on the way to the grocery store-I would go ahead and say my prayer in transit.  However, I wanted everyone corralled together.  So I thought of a prayer book.  Just a little notebook that would have people I wanted to prayer for in one place.  And when their situation was resolved I would put a little check by their name.

So I was at Staples when I found these books for a $1!  Then as I was looking at them at the store I decided to buy 10 of them-one for each member of my Bible study and an extra or 2.


So then I was inspired by the challenge at Lessology.  The challenge is to incorporate a book and either a recycled or upcycled item.  Either these $1 books are upcycled and the old dictionary paper is the book part or I am upcycling the old dictionary pages and the notebooks are the book part.  ;)  Also, I looked up images on the Silhouette regarding prayer.  I fell in love with this little praying angel lady.  :)  And here is how these books got made...

Here is one notebook.  The cover is plastic.


I did some online research and saw something like this could work.  It's what I had.  Also, Golden gel medium would work (which I did not have).  I tried gloss gel medium and that was not successful.  The trick is to put a lot of this glue down on the cover.  Also that is old dictionary paper that has already started turning old paper color-LOL!


Here are the finished prayer books.


I used vintage photo distress ink around the edges of all of the boos.  On a couple I added Dusty Concord (purple), Broken China, and Gathered Twigs.  For the halo I used Krylon 18K gold leafing pen.

Here's a closeup using vintage photo distress ink and broken china.


Here's one with just the vintage photo ink.


Dusty Concorde...


The background pages came from this old Encyclopedia of Dictionaries.  It makes me giddy thinking that this big o' book is a 2 in 1! ;)  


Thanks for stopping by!  Until next time my friends....ahhh I love the smell of old books! :)



3 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

What a wonderful idea! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee that image!!!!!!!!!

Jen said...

What a fun idea - I wound up writing mine down too, so I didn't forget anybody ;o)

Mitralee said...

OH MY GOODNESS THESE ARE SUPER COOL! yes that is my outside voice! WOW! Really dig the image you used for the cover! Nice job AND great idea! Thanks for playing along with us at LESSology!