I hope everybody has a great Thanksgiving! I have been busy working on this sweet little bird cage. It is for the Lessology Challenge #6 Hanging Mobile. This is my Friday project--just a day early :)
This is my bird cage mobile. I watch Scrapbook Soup episode 110, and Jo Pearson from Michael's made a bird cage. I thought it was the coolest thing and that I must make one too!! So when the challenge from Lessology came along--I thought perfect! I can make a mobile and the cage! So scroll down to see how I made the mobile. The main instructions are for the cage are here. Scroll to episode 110, and you will see the link for the cage instructions.
Here is a closer view of the mobile part.
Here's my little birdie.
Here's the top of the cage...
Here's the mobile sitting still...
I started with a paper mache box.
I painted it ballerina pink. Love that!
Then I punched holes in the rim of the top with my crop-a-dile. I'm following the directions from the Scrapbook Soup instructions.
This is what it looks like after I put the wires in. So cool!! I put little heart gems on the end of each wire piece. The heart gems came with jump rings so I used those.
Next I got out the beige colored Raffia. Yay, a use for it!
I sprayed it with a clear glittery Smooch solution so the shimmer is subtle.
I saw these Martha Stewart keys in the Scrapbook Etc. magazine and knew that I had to had them. I found them at Michael's--Cha Ching! I knew that I could work a couple of them into my project. Check out the background in the package...that comes back later!
I painted Prima paper flowers with shimmers that I got from Cardmaking and Papercraft Magazine.
I mostly used pink and blue, but there is a little yellow on some of the flowers.
I used these little rose buds on top of the cage. I have had these forever! The pink bunch I bought at Wal-mart way way back in the day for .25! These have wire stems and that made it easy to attach to the top of the cage.
Here is the background paper from the Martha Stewart Keys package. This is my upcycled item. I made butterflies out of it. How fun is that!
With the pattern paper I cut 4 butterflies--2 pattern sides up and 2 back sides up. Then I glued the butterflies together (1 from each cutting) pattern up and pattern on the bottom. I pierced a hole in them in order to tie them to the string for the mobile part.
I strung 2 strings of glass beads and 3 strings of Art C beads to make the mobile part. I put 2 butterflies, 1 Tim Holtz coin (pictured below), 2 Martha Stewart keys (glued back to back because the are flat on the bottom) and 1 old luggage key on the bottoms of the beaded strands.
I took a piece of redline tape and put it on the inside of the box. I put the top end of a strand of beads on the tape and took a piece of redline tape and put it over the exposed string. I didn't take the other side of the redline tape off. I did that with the other 4 strands as well.
Here is the top part of the mobile. I adhered the bird cage part to the upside down box. The original directions called of a paper mache bird, but Michael's didn't have any. Thank goodness it's Christmas time! I went over to the Christmas ornament section and found this sweet bird. Perfect! I cut the ornament string and shorted it so the bird would be lifted higher into the cage. I made a little hook to hang the birdie.
I put the sparkly Raffia in the bottom of the bird cage. I took a couple of ribbons (1 with pink flowers) and strung them through the cage wires at the top.
Here's a picture of the mobile part.
This was such a fun project to make! Have a good Thanksgiving! Until next time my friends....eat lots of turkey and cranberry sauce! :)