Thursday, June 27, 2019

Fairy House

Hello Everybody!

I am super excited to share with you my most recent project!  Like seriously excited! First, I have to tell you that this is the first time I have ever made a Fairy House (or any place for a mystical creature to live.) Second there are a lot of pictures.  So I am going to take care of business first-and then please feel free to proceed on if your time allows :)

So here is my before and after photos:


I would like to submit this Fairy House to the following Challenges:

Frilly and Funkie: Home Sweet Home


Mixed Media Warriors: #40  Old to New


I have to first tell you also where my inspiration came from.  I was scrolling Instagram like I do and came across this house that Adrijana at Paper Beauty AK posted.  And I like fell in love with it.  Crazy-I know but it totally inspired me to make my house.  So Thank you Adrijana!  

I have had this house for about 2 years.  I bought it at Goodwill in August 2017.  My husband and I used to go to thrift stores a LOT and I would collect wood things with the hopes of transforming them into other things.  I buy faster than I create LOL.  And it's been awhile since I made anything this big (usually I make cards and scrapbook pages).  

                                        

It's funny because when I have shown a couple of people the before picture they say "oh that's cute."  And it makes me feel bad because all I saw was a project.  LOL  It's about an inch or so thick.  Before I decorated it-the house could stand on it's own.


I cleaned the dust off with a wet rag.  And started to gesso it.  Then I realized I didn't want the shutters-so I took those off.  The little nails were left behind so I left them there.  


I added Power Tex 3-D balls (some might call them art rocks) and painted the house white (Martha Stewart Paint).


On the right you an see the supplies and the finished paint.


Inspired by the other house-I wanted to use a nest too.  This is a Melissa Frances nest and those are Dollar Tree golden eggs.  You can find these kind of nests at Hobby Lobby also (like in the moss or fairy house section I cannot remember which).  I hot glued the eggs inside but not the nest just yet.


I painted the roof gray.

The roof makes me want to have a PayDay candy bar.  This is little gravel that came with a beta fish set.  I did not use the gravel for the fish because I refuse to clean dirty fish gravel.  So these are clean straight out of the bag and I used hot glue to apply them.  I only burned myself like 3 times.  ;)


I used my silhouette machine to make windows and a door.  The cut files came from the Silhouette Design Store.  I took clear extra laminating and applied yellow tim holtz alcohol ink.  Then I cut them to fit the window and glued them on with glossy accents.


I painted the underside of the roof a beige color.  It was gray before and didn't look right.  Then I added spring green paint mixed with white and dabbed it off with a paper towel.  This was cool because it created a lighter more organic feel.  The inspiration house is what gave me that idea.  That's one of the things I loved about it.


I wanted dimension and I figured an awning above the door would be a perfect way to accomplish that.  I took some light cardboard and cut it into pieces and curved them.  I covered them with these fake leaves I found in my stash.  I used hot glue to adhere and then I added more leaves to the front of the awnings.  

The door-I painted with tim holtz distress mustard seed.  Adhered material to the window using mod podge fabric glue.  That stuff is awesome for adhering fabric (me just sayin').  Bliss sign that came in a scrapbook kit and an orange brad for the door knob.


So here is what it looks like now.  Time for some greenery!  I added paper grass to the front and it's a Lawn Fawn die.  Then in my stash (gifted to me) are the green "bushes." I added moss (so fun!  and totally inspired) and then I found some little critters to put in places.  Also, I glue on the nest.


Ta-Da!  I painted a wood veneer butterfly pick raspberry (TH Distress Paint).  I bought moss from the Dollar Tree and Hobby Lobby.  There are many different types of moss.  :)

Outside Picture


Side View

Other Side 


Inside Picture


And these are closeups of the little critters I found-that I didn't remember having.  LOL






And here it is again.  All finished.


If you made it this far--thank you and big hugs!  Until next time my friends...stay creative! :)

6 comments:

Suzanne C said...

Such a sweet transformation to a fairy house! Lovely details with the adorable animals peeking out! Thanks for sharing this home with us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!

sarascloset said...

This is so sweet and what a great transformation! I love the pebbled roof and all those little animals! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie in the Home, Sweet Home challenge. Hugs! Sara Emily

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is GORGEOUS!!! LOVING the rock roof!

experiments in paper said...

Love your little house! Lots of yummy detail, and a nice step out in your post. Hugs, Lynn

Jenny Marples said...

Well for me you've definitely given that house an upgrade! LOVE the pebble roof, the greenery scattered around and the way you've even added the stones to the surface of the wall. Thank you for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog xx

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

What a great upcycle! I love the makeover you provided with this darling little fairy house. The stone roof has to be my favorite feature, but I also love all the little woodland creatures you invited to the party. Beautifully done! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Funkie Junkie Boutique "Home Sweet Home" Challenge!