Saturday, October 15, 2022

Halloween Party Pumpkin Terrarium

 Hello Friends!

October is just the best month! The weather is nicer and leaves are turning. Pumpkins and Halloween decorations are everywhere! 

Today I am happy to show you my pumpkin terrarium-where there is an awesome Halloween Party going on!  I am linking this to Simon Says Stamp challenge and that info is at the bottom of this post.

Here it is :)  I bought the pumpkin terrarium from Oriental Trading.  And I will be honest-I was scared at first LOL. I was afraid of having this cool pumpkin but not decorating it cool enough-silly I know. I got over myself LOL and once I started applying paint to the outside-it started to come together. 


I love Tim Holtz. And I compartmentalized made the costume party dies one night. I made three of each since I had the papers out and I know there is another project I want to do with the trio. This little dracula has a silver glitter outfit on because he's at this party :)  The skull and pumpkin in the middle are ideology and the gold witch hat is a charm from Prima I got last year.

I used purple reindeer moss and this brown moss to fill in the floor. There are a few of Tim rub-on's on the walls of the pumpkin.  Now let's talk about tomb stones--I cut these from the sizzix halloween vault series 2021 out of black cardstock. I used the grave texture paste from last year. Then I painted on empty tomb distress crayon (like wow it looked good) and then some peeled paint over some of the textured places. I got that idea from watching one of Tami Bastiaans you tube videos. 


I used a couple of paper dolls and I sometimes like to assign stories to things LOL. So the guy in the back with the face mask and bat wings isn't really supposed to be there. Hmmm....an imposter? 


Tiny lights for the win! I drilled a little hole so the battery pack is on the back and then I hot glued the lights to the ceiling for the pumpkin. Also in the top right corner there is a ghost bottom.  Also, I hot glued sewing thread and strung one of this year's ideology spiders.  I used a little lettuce alcohol ink on it's abdomen like Zoe from Tim's design team did (except she used pearls and I don't have those [yet])  :)


Here is the top of the ghost. :) He's hiding behind the leaves. These big metallic leaves are sort of bendable. I bought those a few years ago from a thrift store, and I'm so happy to finally use them!  Also I used some leaves you can get from either the dollar store or hobby store. And the sunflower is from dollar tree. 


This witch is from Tim's Toil and Trouble sizzix die cut set. I cut a second hat from orange glitter paper because---party!


And lastly an entomology adornment-I used cracked pistachio on him and now he is this cool green color.  I painted the outside of the pumpkin first with black paint that I blotted as I went. I didn't want all of the orange to go away. And then I painted finnabair's sparks unicorn hair paint over it-and wow. I love it. :) 


So I totally forgot to take a before picture. I know-I was like what? So here is the before and the link to this is here at Oriental Trading


So just a few notes-I used hot glue to glue everyone down. I held them up until the glue dried which seemed longer then normal. The pumpkin is sort of a foam material so that might be why. I didn't glue down the moss. I didn't think it needed it. I also used die cut elements from Frightful Things (ghosts and jack o lanter).

I am linking this up to the challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge-Fall Mood Board.


Pumpkins and the lights are totally inspiring from the mood board and used in my project. All of a sudden I want some hot chocolate. :) 

Here is a video of my project. :) 




Thank you for reading to the end. Have a great day friends! :)



3 comments:

My Little World said...

Hi Kathy, so many years since I last time visited your blog. I love you project, the little display in the pumpkin is just so cute.

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Wow this is an amazing project Katy so much detail, I love it, right down to the hanging spider!! Your pumpkin is beautiful and the colours are stunning too. October is my favourite month, the start of Autumn and the array of natures colours is beautiful too. Stunning work, well done Michelle x

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW what an amazing creation...chok full of mesmerising details
Cheers, Dr Sonia