Sunday, March 6, 2022

Limited Edition Mixed Media

 Hello Friends!

I am so excited to share with you this 6X6 Canvas Magnet that is all sorts of grungy fun!



I love love love mixed media and knew I had to participate in this challenge. Also, I watch Ana from Finnabair do a live stream on her new products and I was totally inspired to make something. She had these canvases that had some clay pieces and they were showcasing her new waxes-but they easy looking to make. So I knew I wanted to make something like that and this evolved from it.

This is what I started with: the 3-d gear folder from Tim Holtz/Sizzix, Ranger foil sheets, and the canvas magnet itself. The canvas magnet is a thin canvas that has a magnetic backing. Look at how shiny that embossed foil is!


Then I painted it black and once dry I scuffed it up with steel wool.


This is a foundry number from Tim Holtz and I edged the outside of it with black paint and wound up wire through the holes. When it gets glued down I actually glue it on top of 2 pieces of craft foam to give it dimension.  Underneath this is a Tim quote chip that I also edge with black paint. It it thick on it's own so I glue it straight to the canvas.


I used metal gears for depth. But I wasn't feeling the copper color so I painted them black.


The main centerpiece with the gears and the gentleman are clay pieces. I used finnabair and stamperia molds. On the  main gear I added some paper stones and microc beads.


Here is the canvas-now it's time for Finnabair waxes! 


This is so cool to me-lol. It's a gear painted black with a word coin from Tim Holtz (I used distress picket fence to make life pop.) Then I put a Finnabair Melange on top and it made the word life bigger. The glossy accents seemed to have dried weird but that's ok. 


Here are all of the colors of waxes that I used on gears. Old silver is just a favorite-what can I say?  :)


Here's a side view of my project.


Here's a close up of the gears and area "painted" with the Finnabiar wax.


Looks like there's a little patina on the big gear :)


And here is a picture of the finished canvas. It was awesome to make a steam punk project again-it's been a little while ;)

                                               
Thank you for stoppin by! :)




6 comments:

Laura Gilhuly said...

This is really awesome! Thanks for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique challenge.

Lisa Hoel said...

super cool!! I love anything with gears on it. =) Thanks for sharing it with us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique challenge!

Janna Ketchum said...

Fantastic creation! Love the industrial grunge and the gears look wonderful. Thank you for joining the Funkie Junkie Challenge! ~Janna

Larimore2 said...

I can't help it: this is definitely a place for using my "LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!" comment! It's SOOOOOO FABULOUS!!! Gears and grunge are the things that catch the eye: in moho, lol!
Your make just screams "Make a hole: mixed media coming thru!"
Thanks so much for sharing this with us over at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge!

Suzanne C said...

This is a fabulous steampunk inspired mixed media! Love the silver burnished and etched! Thanks for joining us in the Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge and sharing what you love!

Teri Wilson said...

Wow! This is amazing! Great entry for the Funkie Junkie Boutiques Challenge!