Monday, March 27, 2017

Dreams Plaque

Hello Everybody!

I am so excited about this project.  It's started out as a wooden plaque-you know the ones that the big box craft store sells for a couple of dollars.  And they are filled with potential-and yet I am always afraid to commit to an idea.

Well I'm sure you have seen the beautiful canvases and projects done by Finnabair.  (If you haven't google it-they are beautiful!)  So I thought what if I could do those type of projects with stuff I already have.  So I started-but I couldn't paint everything in gesso.  And I think I'm some sort of weird purist-like I bought something in red so it's meant to be red not some other color.  I know--it's weird.

So here is my Finnabair inspired-but completely different plaque:


I couldn't paint those red flowers or bingo chips.  And once this lady (from Tim Holtz) was sort of placed on this plaque-I knew this is where she belonged.  

First I'm going to take care of some business-then I will show you the steps on how this wall hanging came together.

I would like to submit this plaque into the following challenges;




For the plaque I started with the wooden surface.  Then I picked out the stencil I wanted to use which is Tim Holtz's.  I used light modeling paste.


It came out really nice!


I added more paste to the sides to make it blend in better.


I painted it with spun sugar.  But it started to look way too pink.  


So I added walnut stain and scattered straw to tone down the pink.


Once it was colored enough to go with the picture, I picked out things to glue onto the plaque.  Most of this fun things are Tim Holtz's.  The little wooden frame is not.  I painted it with the walnut brown paint.  The clock is from Michaels.  The flowers are some I had in my stash along with the pearls.  I was happy to use some of the bingo chips-I have lots of those. :)


My husband bought me these cool metal gears for Christmas, and I'm excited to use them on this project.  


Here's the plaque again,  Thank you for stopping by!


Until next time my friends...stay creative! :)


3 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is stunning! LOVING the bingo pieces and the gears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yyam said...

I think it turned out great un-gessoed! ;)

Susan said...

Love this wonderful plaque, Katy! The texture with the stencil was perfect to create a soft, romantic feel! Great way to show that you can tone down paint colors as well. Thanks so much for joining us at Creative Carte Blanche!