Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Mother's Day Card

Hello Everybody!

***This card earned a Top 3 Spot at the challenge at Great Impressions.  Thank you! :)

I made a Mother's Day card today.  I have at least one more to do.  And you know how it is-if I get a third one made it's bonus! :)


This card was inspired by 2 challenges.

The first is Great Impressions.  May's challenge is to use a tutorial.  Let me tell you there are many great tutorials on their website!  So deciding what I was going to do was a big difficult but I finally chose the Water Color Emboss Resist Technique.  Mynn does the video and if you have seen her videos you know she does a wonderful job explaining the techniques. 

The second inspiration for this card was the sketch at Try Stampin' on Tuesday Challenge #166 Mother's Day.  Here's the sketch:


I used a Cuttlebug embossing folder that I have had forever.  And the shape of the sentiment is from a Brenda Walton Sizzix Gift Tag die cut set.  

For the watercolor I used Distress Ink by Ranger/Tim Holtz.  The colors Peacock Feathers (center out) and Salty Ocean (around edges).  I just put some ink on my craft mat and used a water paintbrush just like Mynn's.  Oh-I also used Watercolor Cardstock by Tim Holtz.  That made a huge difference!  I tried this with my normal cardstock.  I wasn't happy.  Then I used Tim's water color cardstock-and it turned out so much better.  The embossing and ink with water looked way better.

The pins and ribbon are from Making Memories.  Yellow flowers are from Recollections.  Tiny rhinestones are from the Scrapbook Expo this past weekend.  (Yay for new stuff!)  Also, I pop dotted the Mother's Day sentiment so the pins would fit neatly behind there.  The actual stamp I used for the stamp-I don't know the manufacturer for it.  I bought it 2nd hand.  

Thank you so much for stopping by!!  There is plenty of time for these challenges so link up!

Until next time my friends....Happy Card Making :)



12 comments:

Jaya Raghuvanshi said...

Gorgeous card Katy! Love the blues and yellows against the white panel ! really elegant!! and oh my! what crisp embossing!!!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Wonderful work!! :D

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

So beautiful! LOVING the colors!!!

Leslie Germain said...

Pretty card! Love the blue watercolor on it!!!

Sparkly Engineer said...

Your sentiment looks lovely with the emboss resist and the yellow roses really make it pop

stampwithamyk said...

Fabulous embossing both on the sentiment and the background. Love the way that your sentiment turned out. Thanks for joining us at Try Stampin' on Tuesday. Hope to see you again soon!

Mynn xx said...

Katy, this is absolutely STUNNING! I LOVE the pop of blue! Thanks for joining us at Great Impressions! :) HUGS and have a wonderful weekend! Mynn xx

Rose said...

beautiful and i love your water coloring :) So glad you joined us on Try Stampin' on Tuesday this week!

jonim52 said...

Fabulous card, love this technique. Thanks for joining us at Great Impressions.

Kathy S said...

I am so enjoying the watercolor rage that is going on right now. Such a lovely look. Thanks for joining us at TSOT!

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Gorgeous card, love the water coloured sentiment

Thank you for sharing with us at Try Stampin on Tuesday this week, good luck!
Hugs Shell xx

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty card. Love the embossed background and your pop of blue. Thanks for joining us at Great Impressions.